Before Airora ...
The problem with Ionisers
Ioniser air purifiers release ions (that is charged particles) into the air. It is postulated that these ions collide with airborne particles such as dust or pathogens thereby giving them a charge. The now charged particles are then attracted to surfaces, such as walls and curtains, or sink to the floor, taking them out of the air. Under some conditions, and over a relatively lengthy period of time, the presence of high levels of ions has been shown to damage some types of bacteria, viruses and mould sufficiently to make them non-viable.
However, the reality is starkly different:
- As with HEPA filters, ionisers have the drawback that they only effect particulates, not gasses.
- Maintaining a sufficiently high intensity of ions throughout an entire space is practically impossible, as evidenced by Boeing's latest research, which was unable to demonstrate any material effect on surface borne pathogens during their extensive testing.
- Any effects tend to be very local as ion intensity drops off naturally and rapidly away from the device. Indeed, LifeAir's own published data shows that only around 1% of ions remain active just 1m away from the device!
- Even if they were generally effective in removing particulates (including viruses and bacteria) from the air to surfaces in the room then, as the particles gradually lose their charge, or they are disturbed, they will be re-adsorbed back into the air.
- If an ionised pathogen is inhaled, it is more likely to stick to the walls of your respiratory system thus increasing the chance of an adverse reaction.
- Ionisers often increase the level of ozone in a room, possibly beyond safe levels. Indeed research at the University of Leeds has shown that pathogens that eventually become non-viable in the presence of ions are primarily damaged by the related ozone and not by the ions nor their associated charge!
Sadly, there are grossly misleading and false claims being made for this type of air cleaner.
Unlike ionisers, Airora's unique patented technology quickly destroys all types of pathogen throughout an entire space